Thursday, May 20, 2010

Dad

How do you really put into words all that your parent means to you. It has almost been two weeks since Dad passed away but sometimes I still think he is going to walk in the house. The kids and I are currently pestering Nana in California and it is weird being in the house without Dad. Going through everything to get ready for the funeral has really made me realize what a great man my Dad was. He was such a faithful latter-day saint that I can't even began to put it in words my feelings. I am greatful that he passed peacefully and is finally out of pain from the cancer that was taking over his body. Being the youngest I got to spend two years at home with just my parents and I. I really loved my Dad. He was everything a priesthood holder should be. I am greatful for his example. I really hope that I can continue to help my children remember the example that he was to them. In fact my Dad was not even released from his calling as Ward Clerk until the Sunday after he passed away. I can't really say everything so I thought I would post the Eulogy that my sister, myself, my mom, and brother-in-law wrote. I hope you can remember the good memories of my Dad.




Edward Arnold Hall was born on January 25, 1943 in Arbuckle, California. He spent his early
years in Oroville, CA with his sisters Dolores, Tanya, and Cody. He grew up learning that hard
work and education were important. He saw the United States Navy as a path to achieve his
goals while serving his country. He was accepted to Annapolis but was unable to attend. He still
felt entering the Navy was the way to further his education. Following boot camp Ed was
stationed on the east coast. While on leave in New York City he met his future bride Georgia
Molter. They met on a blind date not once but twice. Although Ed knew a good thing after the
first time. There courtship set the pattern for how there life together would be like. With Ed
leaving Georgia at the Port Authority bus terminal to participate in the blockade of Cuba during
the Cuban Missile Crisis aboard the USS Enterprise.And returning a few months later none the
worse for wear. During there engagement Ed's brother Dallas was born.
Following a 4 year courtship they were married in New York City on November 7, 1964. Ed
was transferred first to Virginia and then to Alameda, California. Where in 1965 Barbara joined
the family while Ed was serving one of 9 tours in Vietnam. Barbara was seven months old when
she first met her father. Much to his chagrin she only wanted him for his hat. Eventually they
came to terms.
Once again the little family moved, this time to Long Beach California. Where in 1968 Cheryl
joined her mother and sister waiting for Ed to return home from Vietnam again. They were then
transferred to San Diego where Ed was a company commander training recruits. It was there he
was given the opportunity to attend San Diego City College. Wherein 18 months he received an
AA and AS degree. Ed and Georgia received the gospel and joined the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter Day Saints in November of 1972.
The family was then transferred to Concord, California Naval Weapons Station. Where Ed
joined the crew of the USS Kileau and left for Vietnam again.The family was sealed for time and
all eternity in the Oakland Temple in March of 1974. In 1975 Ed was able to attend the birth of
his third daughter Betsy. The first and only of his children's births that he was able to attend.
Three weeks later he left for Vietnam again. Tricia joined the family in 1977 from the front seat
of a V.W. bus. While ED was out to sea on Navy maneuvers. When Tricia was three months old
the family was transferred to Portsmith, New Hampshire. Where Ed was the assistant ship
superintendent and service craft manager for the ship yard. In 1980 Ed decided to retire from the
Navy. Ed and Georgia moved the family home to California where they lived in Concord for a
year. After which they bought their home in Suisun, California where they have lived ever since.
Ed went to work for Pacific Steel Casting in Berkeley where he was the maintenance manager
for 20 years. After leaving Pacific Steel Ed worked with Nextel / Sprint and then Ericsson as a
facilities manager. In this position he made sure the cell sites were up and running at all times,
and in every kind of weather condition. Ed was retired from working in Jan. 2010.
Since joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints Ed always served faithfully.
While in the navy he was the ships group leader aboard all the ships that he served on. In this he
was to minister to the spiritual needs of the latter day saint men aboard the ships. Ed has had
many callings in the church among some was cub master, high priest group leader, elder’s
quorum president, primary teacher, counselor in the bishopric, Sunday school teacher, ward
family history consultant, and what he is most remembered for is 25 years of being the ward
clerk to six different bishops. Ed loved serving his fellow saints and the lord. Ed was diagnosed
with oral cancer in April 2008. Since then he has had three major surgeries undergone 2 rounds
of Chemo, and had more radiation than any other patient in the history of North Bay Medical
Center. In spite of all the dedicated doctors and nurses, medical procedures, and Ed’s fighting
spirit he lost the battle with cancer and returned home to our Heavenly Father on May 8, 2010.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

This is such a beautiful post, Tricia. I wish I could have known your dad, but feel like I do to an extent,just because of the way you have always spoken so highly of him. Enjoy your time with your mom and sisters.

Our Biggs Family said...

Tricia...I'm so sorry we couldn't make it to the service. With the move in the near future we just couldn't swing it. Our thoughts and prayers have been with you and your family. Thanks for this post. We all have fond memories of your dad. How are you doing? how is your mom doing?